It’s been a relatively cool start to summer, but we all know it’s going to get hot and we’ll need something to cool ourselves down. Well, I have just the dessert for you to beat the heat. These tasty and healthy homemade banana buttons are easy to make, nutritious and incredibly delicious.
What you will need
Bananas – a little unripe works better
Toothpicks for serving
Thick paper plate
Parchment paper or wax paper
Chips or chunks of your favorite chocolate – I opted for dark chocolate
Optional toppings: Sprinkles, chopped nuts, coconut, crushed cookies, nibs
Get the party started
1. Lay a sheet of parchment paper on the paper plate Plates are easier to work with than cookie sheets since they will fit into the freezer easier.
2. Next, peel the bananas. I cut them into disks about 3/4-inch thick for easy serving.
3. Place them on the plate that has a sheet of parchment paper or tin foil on it. Once they are all done, put the sheet (or plate) in the freezer to cool the bananas, which should take 20-30 minutes.
4. Place toppings in bowls or on plates.
5. While the bananas cool, start a double boiler to melt the chocolate. Adding oil to the chocolate is not needed.
6. Once the chocolate is melted, remove it from the heat. Remove the bananas from the freezer. I used small thongs to hold the banana piece while coating with chocolate. The cool banana will begin to set the chocolate very quickly.
7. If you wish to decorate with toppings, add these quickly after coating with chocolate.
8. Replace the banana on the plate. Enjoy right away!
Kids and adults love these cool and yummy banana buttons. Simple, wholesome ingredients is all it takes to make these delicious chocolate bananacicles. Nothing artificial like the stuff you might find at the store. What chocolate did we select for our bananacicles? Original Beans Cru Virunga. Our favorite topping turned out to be the one with Claudio Corallo roasted nibs (buy them here). Buy some of this uncommonly good chocolate today from Drexelius Chocolates and enjoy your own yummy chocolate banana treats when the heat gets the best of you!
If you like what you just read…then make it easier on yourself by subscribing to the feed of these posts so you can be the first to know what’s up with chocolate. Plus, you’ll be loved forever. And tell a friend because sharing is caring!