Bacon catches most people’s attention. The sight. The smell. Just saying the word makes heads turn. It has been in many recipes and on menus lately and I actually was getting a bit tired of seeing it pop up everywhere. I don’t need bacon in everything I eat. My breakfast wrap. My salad. My sandwich. My dessert. Then a recipe caught my eye. It’s a version of a classic British appetizer and it needed a little tweaking to make it really shine, but I came up with a winner.
The original recipe I tried was gross so I will spare you that horror. I knew there was a good concept hidden in there so I just threw in my own ideas. I changed the spice from jalapeno to Sambal Oelek, which is something I love to add for a touch of heat in any dish. A few other small changes and voila! Taste heaven.
Devils on Horseback
Makes 8 devils
- 2 strips of bacon
- 1 date, pitted
- 1 oz dark chocolate
- Sambal Oelek (ground fresh chili paste)
1) Cut the date in quarters, then half those pieces again. You should have eight pieces.
2) Chop the chocolate into small chunks the size of your pinky nail or a two peg Lego piece.
3) Cook the bacon close to crispy (firm), but still a tad bit chewy (soft). Pat with paper towels to drain excess fat.
4) Slice each bacon strip into four pieces.
5) Add a chunk of date and chocolate to each piece of bacon. Top with a tiny amount Sambal Oelek and place in microwave for 15-30 seconds to soften the chocolate slightly. When the chocolate starts to look glossy that means it is softening and beginning to melt. Serve now. Enjoy!
These little devils swoop in and whisk you away with their incredible flavor. Slightly crispy with a delicate sweetness tied together with a touch of heat. Softening the chocolate helps open the flavors and gives a fuller taste. Surprise your guests with these fantastic appetizers at your next party or get-together. Make these mouth-watering treasures with the high quality, all natural chocolate at Drexelius Chocolates today.
If you like what you just read…then make it easier on yourself by subscribing to the feed of these posts so you can be the first to know what’s up with chocolate. Plus, you’ll be loved forever. And tell a friend because sharing is caring!