National Chocolate Cupcake Day is October 18. I know there is a huge surge of love for cupcakes, but I am not a big fan of cupcakes (chocolate especially). I have always found that the flavor gets lost in the translation. I’d rather have cookies or brownies where the chocolate flavor just explodes. Would love to have your recipe suggestions if you know of a good one 🙂
My mom used to make incredible boxed chocolate cupcakes with homemade coconut frosting. These were my ab-so-lute favorite cupcakes when I was a kid. The frosting was made with Crisco. It glistened and glided on your tongue leaving a trail of shredded coconut to be enjoyed. Yum!
I searched the web and found some interesting cupcake recipes. Here is a fun cupcake recipe that combines the wonderful flavor of chocolate with the well-rounded zing of five spice and bright citrus of orange. Feel free to replace vegan items with non-vegan to make your cupcakes as you wish:
Vegan Chocolate Five Spice Orange Cupcakes
Yields 12-48 cupcakes depending on size of tin
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups natural cane sugar
1 2/3 cups water (or cold freshly brewed coffee)
1 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons five spice
4 tablespoons cider vinegar
1) Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease muffin tins. In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients with a whisk.
2) Add water, oil, vanilla and five spice. Stir to combine.
3) Add vinegar to the mix and stir quickly to combine. It will look slightly foamy and lighter in color, but once the mix turns a bit darker again you know you’ve incorporated all the vinegar and you’re set to pour the mix into muffin tins.
4) Bake for 15 minutes for a medium-sized cupcake. Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes, remove and place on wire rack until completely cool.
- 1 cup vegan margarine (I splurged and went with butter here)
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon orange juice
4 tablespoons almond milk
1/2 cup cocoa powder + 2 tablespoons
1/8 teaspoon salt
1) Blend margarine (butter) in a mixer until creamy. Add powdered sugar and mix to combine.
2) Add remaining ingredients and mix until a creamy consistency is reached. You’re ready to frost and eat! Refrigerate any unused frosting for up to a week, but I bet it won’t last that long.
Want to forgo the cupcake and dive right into chocolate? Then head on over to Drexelius Chocolates and savor chocolate at its finest.
What a delicious post! Be the first to know what’s up with all things chocolate. Follow me @drexchocolates, subscribe to my feed or sign up for chocolate blog updates. ❤ forever. And tell a friend because sharing is caring!