Cross hair cookies? No, they are not hairy, angry cookies. Good one, though! I brought cookies for the hosts when we went to a friend’s Bagels and Booze Brunch. People put me in their sights and hunted me down after tasting just one of these cookies. Imagine what would happen if they had two! They just HAD to know the recipe and wanted to know what I put in them to make them taste soooooo good.
Cross Hair Cookies
adapted from Alton Brown’s Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yield: 48 cookies
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 Tablespoons milk – I substituted almond milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup roasted chopped pecans
- 3 oz chopped chocolate
1) Roast pecans on the stove. Try not to over cook or they will get bitter. Chop and set aside to cool. Chop chocolate and set aside.
2) Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and cayenne. Set aside.
3) Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat, then pour the melted butter in a large bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar and cream together on medium speed.
4) Add the egg, egg yolk, milk and vanilla extract to the wet ingredients and mix well. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Fold in the chocolate and pecans.
5) Spoon dough onto cookie sheets. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown, checking after 10 minutes. Rotate for even cooking. Store leftovers in an airtight container.
These cookies are hard to resist. The little touch of cayenne surprises people. Plus the cookies taste incredibly good. These are great cookies to share with a friend, but try not to get into a shooting match over them. Make sure to make an extra batch to savor for yourself.
Get these cookies off to a great start with some all natural chocolate from Drexelius Chocolates. Order chocolate now and set your sights on these delicious cross hair cookies!
***Free Shipping on orders over $25***
This post was right on target! Be the first to know what’s up with all things chocolate. Follow me @drexchocolates, subscribe to my feed or sign up for chocolate blog updates. You’ll be loved forever. And tell a friend because sharing is caring!