January 20th is National Buttercrunch Day. We’re going to celebrate this wonderful day with a delicious recipe from David Lebovitz. I know you can’t see much of the buttercrunch in the photo above, but you can see it peeking out under that beautiful sea of chocolate 🙂 The original recipe called for almonds, but I switched them out for sinfully delicious pecans. Enjoy!
Chocolate-Pecan Buttercrunch Toffee
Adapted from The Perfect Scoop
2 cups (8 ounces) toasted pecans, chopped
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut into pieces
a big pinch of salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4-5 oz dark chocolate, chopped into small chunks – I used 5 oz and it was plenty
optional: fleur de sel – I used Cervia Fiore di Sale
1. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Sprinkle half the nuts into a rectangle about 8″ x 10″ on the baking sheet.
3. In a medium heavy-duty saucepan fitted with a candy thermometer, heat the water, butter, salt, and both sugars. Cook, stirring as little as possible, until the thermometer reads 300 F degrees. Have the vanilla and baking soda handy. Note: be patient! It takes time to reach 300 degrees F. Relax. You’re doing fine.
4. Immediately remove from heat and stir in the baking soda and vanilla.
5. Quickly pour the mixture over the nuts on the baking sheet. Try to pour the mixture so it forms a relatively even layer. If necessary, gently but quickly spread with a spatula, but don’t overwork it.
6. Strew the chocolate pieces over the top and let stand 2 minutes, then spread in an even layer. Note: The hot buttercrunch will melt the chocolate nicely.
7. Sprinkle with fleur de sel. Spread the remaining nuts over the chocolate and gently press them in with your hands.
8. Cool completely and break into pieces to serve. Store in an airtight container, for up to ten days.
Ready, set, yum!!! Eat this delicious treat just as it is or enjoy it with some ice cream. Thank you, David, for sharing this wonderful recipe. This decadent delight is great on its own or serve it with ice cream for a real treat. Order chocolate now from Drexelius Chocolates and get cracking on this taste sensation for your taste buds.
***Free Shipping on orders over $25***
Perfect to share with friends! Be the first to know what’s up with all things chocolate. Follow me @drexchocolates, subscribe to my feed or sign up for chocolate blog updates. ❤ forever. And tell a friend because sharing is caring!