Yes, you read that right. Cookies made with bacon grease. A little sweet, a little heat and a little slice of breakfast. The bacon grease essentially takes the place of butter in the recipe and adds another dimension in flavor. Break out the mixer. Let’s get cooking!
Chocolate chip pecan cookies…with bacon grease
Yield: about 36 cookies
- 1/2 cup bacon grease, strained
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk – (substitution: 1/4 c almond milk + 3/4 t white vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup roasted pecans, chopped
- 2 cups chocolate, chopped
1) Heat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a cookie sheet.
2) Cream together the bacon grease, butter, sugar. Add the egg, buttermilk* and vanilla and beat until fluffy. *Instead of buttermilk, I used almond milk mixed with white vinegar. Allow to sit for 5 minutes before adding to recipe.
3) Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and cayenne. Add to butter, sugar and egg mixture. Beat until well incorporated and then stir in the chocolate chips and nuts.
4) Roll dough into ping pong-sized balls, place on parchment-sheet lined cookie sheets and bake for 17 minutes. Want a flatter cookie? Press down on the dough ball with a fork before baking. They will not spread out during baking.
Voila! A delightful addition of savory bacon heaven in every bite. The Original Beans Cru Virunga I used in this recipe was a perfect match for the rich bacon and spicy heat. These come out thick and very much like a cookie, not chewy or crumbly. Check out the great selection of chocolate at Drexelius Chocolates and make a batch of these tempting delights today!
***Free Shipping on orders over $25***
Gotta have `em. Be the first to know what’s up with all things chocolate. Follow me @drexchocolates, subscribe to my feed or sign up for chocolate blog updates. ❤ forever. And tell a friend because sharing is caring!