As a kid I gobbled chocolate. Piece after piece went into my mouth and I wanted more. Vanilla was just too…vanilla. Many years later, my friend Renee read about chocolate tastings and said we should try one. How could it be that we both had eaten years worth of chocolate, but had never truly tasted it? We were blown away by our findings and I encourage you to try it for yourself.
Here are some basic guidelines so you can hold your own chocolate tasting, which follows many of the guidelines of tasting wine. You will use all five senses to enjoy the incredible flavors offered by the cacao. This simple process lets you to discover chocolate in a new, pleasurable and exciting way.
- Bring chocolate to room temperature.
- For maximum results, do not eat/drink any flavored beverages for 2 hours prior.
- Arrange your chocolate dark to light, delicate to intense flavor.
- Use plain bread and a drink of water to cleanse your palate between tastings.
- Gently inhaling coffee beans will erase lingering aromas.
- Look: Check the chocolate’s appearance — cloudy, bubbles, smooth, shiny, dull…
- Listen: Break off a small piece of chocolate. Listen to the sound. Loud break? Or soft?
- Feel: Gently rub the chocolate between your fingers. Is the texture smooth? Rough?
- Smell: Bring the chocolate piece to your nose and inhale the tantalizing aromas.
- Taste: Chocolate melts at body temperature. Let it melt slowly on your tongue.
- The melt tells you something about the amount of cocoa butter in the bar.
- Lightly chew on the chocolate to release more flavor.
- Swirl it around your mouth to enjoy the flavors: bitter, sweet, salty and sour.
- Close your eyes and enjoy the individual flavors as they unfold.
- Take a few moments after each bite to reflect on the flavors.
- Remember to cleanse your palate between tastings.
Most of all…have fun! Your palate will tend to tire after a few tastings, which means things will begin to taste the same. I will taste only 4-5 chocolate bars in this intense manner before stopping. If you are in a group, it is interesting to write down your findings and compare the results. It’s always fun to find out how everyone’s tastes differ from one another.
Whether it’s for a group or for yourself, it’s time to order some incredible all natural chocolate from Drexelius Chocolates and host a chocolate tasting of your own. Remember: Chocolate + Friends = Fun!
***Free Shipping on orders over $25***
Fun with chocolate. Be the first to know what’s up with all things chocolate. Follow me @drexchocolates, subscribe to my feed or sign up for chocolate blog updates. ❤ forever. And tell a friend because sharing is caring!