For National Chocolate Chip Day on May 15th, I’m making healthy oatmeal cookies with a gourmet touch. I’m starting with my own chocolate chips by chopping up some delicious all natural chocolate from Drexelius Chocolates. Then these oatmeal cookies will go to another level.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies With Spicy Salt
Adapted from Salted by Mark Bitterman
Yield: 36 cookies
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups oats, regular or quick (not instant)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon spicy pyramid salt (any fleur de sel will do)
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3 oz chopped chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon salt for topping cookies, or more as needed
1) Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Chop chocolate and set aside. Prep cookie sheets.
2) Mix together the flour, oats, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
3) In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla together by hand. Don’t overmix.
4) Add the eggs, one by one, by hand until well combined. Incorporate the flour mixture for at least one minute to get the gluten to form. Fold in the chocolate.
5) Scoop dough in rounded teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets, placing about 2 inches apart. The cookies flatten and spread while in the oven so give them room. Generously sprinkle with salt.
6) Bake for 8 minutes or until the edges are golden brown with soft centers. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. These cookies are best when left to rest for more than an hour instead of straight out of the oven. Store leftovers in an airtight container.
For this recipe, I used a spectacular pyramid salt that has a splash of chili spice which made these cookies pop in more ways than one. Together with the fabulous chocolate from Drexelius Chocolates, these oatmeal chocolate chip cookies were destined to be winners. Order chocolate now and share this recipe with your loved ones.
***Free Shipping on orders over $25***
Salt is the spice of life. Be the first to know what’s up with all things chocolate. Follow me @drexchocolates, subscribe to my feed or sign up for chocolate blog updates. ❤ forever. And tell a friend because sharing is caring!